Euthanasia

Go down

Euthanasia

Post by Tshern on Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:11 am

Any opinions on this?

Personally I believe it can be justified, because everyone, in the end, is, or should, be in charge of their own body. When you actually insert this to a specific context, justifying it can be a lot more difficult, but that's the case with most ethical issues.

For example all terminally ill people should have the right to be killed. In many cases this can be done via suicide, but I am sure we could find some doctors who would license themselves as legalized euthanasia doctors. After all, you mustn't force anyone to kill anyone.

Admin

Number of posts : 201
Class : Druid of the Coast
Registration date : 2009-01-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Euthanasia

Post by Solnath on Thu Feb 05, 2009 2:29 am

Well, I think that even if doctors wouldn't agree, someone would. Sociopaths would come in very handy in such a situation.

Solnath

Number of posts : 90
Class : Supreme
Registration date : 2009-01-21

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Shi'jal on Thu Feb 05, 2009 4:04 am

Wow finally a honest job for the dangerously crazy. Better have some god like oversight though. My opinion? Once you are old enough you have more understanding about these things then the younger people trying to make the laws, at least when applied to yourself. If some ancient person decides they are simply too miserable due to all the pain, diseases, ect that come on with old age...sure let them comit suicide in some humane way.

Now alot of younger folk...are just dumb, and are likely to submit to temporary depression, so not sure how I feel about letting them kill themselves over a incurable disease. I suppose it depends on the details of that specific person.
Shi'jal

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2009-02-04

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Solnath on Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:53 am

I support depression-related suicide. Too many people already, anyway.

Solnath

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tshern on Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:54 pm

Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Solnath on Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:11 pm

Solnath

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MisterSinister on Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:21 pm

MisterSinister

Number of posts : 73
Class : Archivist
Registration date : 2009-02-02

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tshern on Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:54 pm

Okay, this comes as not a moderatory warning, but a suggestion, get the fuck back to the original topic.

Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Reverend Red on Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:32 pm

If I would believe in some metaphysical laws granted at birth, the firstmost would be the individual's right for their own body. I do not support slavery (though have often thought what it would be like to be or own a slave) and I don't believe in anyone's right to attack another, despite the circumstances. That introductory part is there to bring me to the point where every single person should be allowed to decide when to end their life span. Even if they don't have a good reason! I'm not one of those people who say "Only let a person die when they're really unhealthy." Fuck that, someone wants to die, let THEM fucking decide wheter or not they can do it. Of course, for suiciders, help is often needed and should be granted, but eventually, I'm not one to judge these people as cowards or anything.

Continuing to euthanasia. People should have medical wills. They should clearly point out on a piece of legally binding paper wheter or not they want to survive under X, Y and Z conditions and this thing should be adhered to rigorously. Also, people should update their medical wills often, preferrably every time their opinion changes. I don't believe the doctors or family members should make the call, and it could be avoided with these obligatory medical wills. As, however, they are not implemented in a far and respectful manner (both of my grand mothers were kept artificially alive after sustaining mortal damage to the brain despite their medical wills,) I think a healthcare professional should make the decision in a humane manner, under strict codes. Eventually, I believe, as I said, that people should be allowed to die, and when they no longer have brain activity, for example, it would be best for the society and the person in question to have them unplugged.

Admin

Number of posts : 181
Class : Something of a wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tshern on Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:58 pm

As some of you know, my grandmother died some months ago. She had slipped into a state akin to comatose and it was the doctor who decided she would not be resuscitated in any case. None of the children could do it, but I don't think it is an easy choice for the doctor either.

There are many, many problems when it comes to suicide, but I believe we can discuss those too. Sucks for the people who the new corpse left behind, that's why I don't like suicides. In defense of all those who killed themselves, help is hard to get and the lack of availability can make you even more desperate.

Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MisterSinister on Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:07 am

Tshern wrote:As some of you know, my grandmother died some months ago. She had slipped into a state akin to comatose and it was the doctor who decided she would not be resuscitated in any case. None of the children could do it, but I don't think it is an easy choice for the doctor either.

There are many, many problems when it comes to suicide, but I believe we can discuss those too. Sucks for the people who the new corpse left behind, that's why I don't like suicides. In defense of all those who killed themselves, help is hard to get and the lack of availability can make you even more desperate.

Each person has a right to choose whether they live or not. While I find suicide to be a poor solution to one's problems, I also respect the right that people have to kill themselves if that is indeed their wish.
MisterSinister

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tshern on Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:15 am

Of course, that's what I said, but it doesn't take away the dilemma regarding the burden the guy forces his family to carry. Heck, using child labour is not illegal in several countries, but it doesn't actually make it right.

Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MisterSinister on Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:17 am

Tshern wrote:Of course, that's what I said, but it doesn't take away the dilemma regarding the burden the guy forces his family to carry. Heck, using child labour is not illegal in several countries, but it doesn't actually make it right.

This is not a question of legality, and I never brought up the idea of legality in the first place - keep conflation out of this thread, please. Razz And yes, there is the dilemma, but at the same time, it's not like life doesn't force decisions on you all the time, and even the simplest thing can be dilemmatic quite easily. Why this should be any different, I really don't know.
MisterSinister

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tshern on Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:22 am

What are you comparing this with, selecting between two cans of beer? Ending your life is probably the most important thing you can ever do with it. I bet normal man doesn't run into feasible decisions of this gravity too often. Say you've got three kids and a wife who just got paralysed and you go and shoot yourself. Sure, your decision, but you wrecked the lives of at least for other people, did you have the right to effect their lives in that way? When you make the decision of consciously hurting several other people to get out of trouble, it's no wonder people question the choice.

Also, my thread, I do what I want.

Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MisterSinister on Sat Feb 14, 2009 1:07 am

Tshern wrote:What are you comparing this with, selecting between two cans of beer? Ending your life is probably the most important thing you can ever do with it. I bet normal man doesn't run into feasible decisions of this gravity too often. Say you've got three kids and a wife who just got paralysed and you go and shoot yourself. Sure, your decision, but you wrecked the lives of at least for other people, did you have the right to effect their lives in that way? When you make the decision of consciously hurting several other people to get out of trouble, it's no wonder people question the choice.

Also, my thread, I do what I want.

Point taken.
MisterSinister

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Solnath on Sat Feb 14, 2009 2:43 am

When you kill yourself, you have two ways of doing it: responsibly or irresponsibly. That is, either you wrap up things and minimise the negative effect of your death on others and society or you don't give fuck-all. The former's easier and generally morally better, but the latter is easier to justify in most moral systems.

Solnath

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tshern on Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:06 pm

An interesting point. I can already hear George Carlin's thoughts about this in my head.

Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Reverend Red on Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:46 pm

There's very little to add when we don't have anyone boasting the "sanctity of life" or any other cuckoo religious or pseudoreligious bullshit around here. I think we're sort of unanimous.

Admin

Number of posts : 181
Class : Something of a wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Solnath on Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:41 am

Except that no one apart from myself is endorsing eugenics.

Solnath

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum