Ideal game?

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Ideal game?

Post by Reverend Red on Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:47 pm

In more general terms, what would your ideal game be like? In terms of rule system, setting, action/RP ratio, player amount, content and concept, format, that is.

I am considering trying to make a game according to the preferences of the players... it could turn into a real mixed bag.

Admin

Number of posts : 181
Class : Something of a wizard
Registration date : 2009-01-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Ideal game?

Post by Tshern on Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:11 pm

I'd love to give the Tome a try, but with a high likelyhood no-one else knows the rules even as much as I do and I am no expert either. At least not yet.

Are you thinking about a PbP game or an online venture?
Tshern
Admin

Number of posts : 201
Class : Druid of the Coast

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Solnath on Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:52 am

Reverend Red wrote:I am considering trying to make a game according to the preferences of the players... it could turn into a real mixed bag.

Like that's going to work. I've been thinking about DMing a political intrigue campaign, though, but I'm pretty sure I'd enjoy playing one as well.

Solnath

Number of posts : 90
Class : Supreme
Registration date : 2009-01-21

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tshern on Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:32 pm

Political intrigue for the win, no matter what system.
Tshern
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Reverend Red on Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:58 pm

Definetly something that will be incorporated, then. Political intrigue... check!

Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Solnath on Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:00 pm

Anyone have any preferences to genre? I was thinking that it'd be fun to play in a massive space setting where FTL travel is possible, but not tachyon communications or anything other FTL, so that the spread of information is limited but possible, leading to a feudal, decentralised governmental form being necessary. In such a scenario, players could start as minor nobles, perhaps from the same world or system, who meet each other and make some sort of pact to help each other reach the top. (Supreme Council / Imperial Family / etc.)

Solnath

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Deodanth on Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:11 pm

Solnath: Sounds a lot like the concept of Traveller RPG.
Deodanth

Number of posts : 29
Class : Rune Weaver ®
Registration date : 2009-02-01

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Reverend Red on Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:33 pm

I have no experience with Traveler, but I know Sol was involved with a large game similar to that. He seemed to enjoy it, he used to recite to me his long, winding replies.

Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Solnath on Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:39 pm

Never heard, I was thinking of Emperor of the Fading Suns.

Game like that, wut?

Solnath

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MisterSinister on Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:01 am

Tshern wrote:I'd love to give the Tome a try, but with a high likelyhood no-one else knows the rules even as much as I do and I am no expert either. At least not yet.

Are you thinking about a PbP game or an online venture?

Actually, Tshern, I have DESIGNED for the Tomes (and, if Aktariel and Surgo ever get their acts together), I'll have my content added to the core document. Besides, it is extremely easy to learn and run with.
MisterSinister

Number of posts : 73
Class : Archivist
Registration date : 2009-02-02

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tshern on Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:05 am

Technically, I've read through all the classes (Jester is my favourite, might have something to do with my avatar...) and mechanics. The result was very predictable, it wins the internetz and it was simple, just the way it was supposed to be.

I've slowly been pushing the idea of using Tomes to Deodanth's direction as well. Maybe one day we'll have a Tome adventure around here, I'd love to give it a go.
Tshern
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MisterSinister on Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:11 am

Tshern wrote:Technically, I've read through all the classes (Jester is my favourite, might have something to do with my avatar...) and mechanics. The result was very predictable, it wins the internetz and it was simple, just the way it was supposed to be.

I've slowly been pushing the idea of using Tomes to Deodanth's direction as well. Maybe one day we'll have a Tome adventure around here, I'd love to give it a go.

If it would help convincing people, I can post the logs of one of my Tome games on here, once I get them off Cala.
MisterSinister

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Reverend Red on Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:18 am

If some Tome action really starts up, I have no real problem with learning its mechanics. I've heard Tshern recommend it plenty of times, but never got around to even downloading it.

Comparison is often drawn between the Tomes and Pathfinder. I guess the latter isn't exactly hard to defeat.

Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MisterSinister on Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:54 am

Reverend Red wrote:
Comparison is often drawn between the Tomes and Pathfinder. I guess the latter isn't exactly hard to defeat.

Pathfinder is shit. Steaming, soft, yellow shit. Tomes are gold. Shiny bullion.

Comparison? Hardly. Razz
MisterSinister

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Deodanth on Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:47 pm

MisterSinister wrote:
Reverend Red wrote:
Pathfinder is shit. Steaming, soft, yellow shit. Tomes are gold. Shiny bullion.
Comparison? Hardly. Razz
Comparison? They are both yellow and lustrous in color Very Happy

And while that is a poetic description of Pathfinder, how about sharing two or three things you don't like about it? I am by no means a Pathfinder book thumper, I am just hoping to gather opinions and maybe an informed critique or two.

Tshern wrote:I've slowly been pushing the idea of using Tomes to Deodanth's direction as well. Maybe one day we'll have a Tome adventure around here, I'd love to give it a go.
If you run it, I'll show up. Very Happy I plan to invest some time into learning the rule variants myself, but I dont' want to be the first one in the barrel, if you know what I mean.

If there is any sort of playtesting or tryout of the Tome, I would suggest something that gives the system a real workout. Mid-level play with lots of combat and some utility action as well, if possible.
Deodanth

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tshern on Tue Feb 03, 2009 5:07 pm

I am not starting another PbP and M_S said he is not too keen on the idea either, but we might figure something. Perhaps when we have less to do.

Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MisterSinister on Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:25 pm

Deodanth wrote:
Comparison? They are both yellow and lustrous in color Very Happy

And while that is a poetic description of Pathfinder, how about sharing two or three things you don't like about it? I am by no means a Pathfinder book thumper, I am just hoping to gather opinions and maybe an informed critique or two.

Well, it makes fighters worse, as it nerfs their more interesting strategies (tripping takes a heavy nerf, feats become worse, and you get random numbers which do nothing or actually make you worse at doing stuff you did before). Wizards hardly care, and, in fact, become the strongest class in the book thanks to the retards making it. Furthermore, the guy writing it has a similar attitude to, and understanding of, game design as Kevin Siembieda, and as we know, my cat could design better than either of them.

But don't take it from me - read some of the Pathfinder threads on TGD and decide for yourself. I can, however, try and write you a full-blown critique, but don't expect it soon.

Deodanth wrote:
If you run it, I'll show up. Very Happy I plan to invest some time into learning the rule variants myself, but I dont' want to be the first one in the barrel, if you know what I mean.

If there is any sort of playtesting or tryout of the Tome, I would suggest something that gives the system a real workout. Mid-level play with lots of combat and some utility action as well, if possible.

The Tomes are VERY well-tested. As in, they are virtually impossible to break. I have tried, along with the two best mechanics in my group - we have not succeeded one ounce, even at levels 12-13, where the stupid sets in. I have the utmost confidence in the system, and in anyone who chooses to run it succeeding.
MisterSinister

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tshern on Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:39 pm

On the breakability of Tomes: The main thing is not whether or not there are some loopholes (I firmly believe in the extensive playtesting done by some of the best online D&D experts), but the classes are balanced and meaningful in and of themselves. There is no need for multiclassing and feats really matter.

Veekie's failed break attempts (I suppose M_S meant him) prove this even further.

Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Solnath on Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:49 pm

What are these Tomes you speak about? The 3.5 ones or something different?

Solnath

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tshern on Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:05 pm

Custom made D&D 3.5 fixes.

Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Deodanth on Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:26 pm

Tshern, how about a file sharing link for the uninitiated...?

* Deo breaks out his Dungeonomicon and sticks it under his pillow for awesome osmosis while he sleeps. *
Deodanth

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tshern on Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:12 pm

Here.

Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Solnath on Sun Feb 08, 2009 4:14 am

I laughed, level 16 characters can stand on clouds without a problem according to that PDF, assuming they have the Steady Stance [Skill] feat.

Solnath

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MisterSinister on Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:12 am

Solnath wrote:I laughed, level 16 characters can stand on clouds without a problem according to that PDF, assuming they have the Steady Stance [Skill] feat.

And this is unbalanced how? Druids have been flying since level 3 (thanks, master air), everyone else, since level 5. Once you get overland flight, your whole fvcking party flies.

And this actually requires MORE investment and lets people work without a spellcaster or ten in the party.

Still laughing?
MisterSinister

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Solnath on Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:50 am

Yes, because technically speaking, any character on that level with that feat can fly. Which, while "balanced," doesn't even have the excuse of magic to support it.

Solnath

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next