A potential D&D 3.5 PbP at works

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Re: A potential D&D 3.5 PbP at works

Post by Tshern on Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:14 pm

Jolkuna: The weight of your items. The costs of making the crossbows. Separate their attack bonuses. Fix your skill list, I want the Knowledges marked down. You haven't mentioned which two Knowledges get the improved benefits of the Education feat. Wand of Lesser Vigor lacks a price tag. Where did you mark your current cash situation? You are aware of the fact that a chain shirt costs 100 gp, gives you the benefits of Mage armor and it won't run out after two days?

trollblood: You should decide whether you take the Manyshot or the Rapid shot route. There is no point in investing in both, you will just end up being mediocre in both. Could you please provide a sketch of your character? It is hard to help you without actually seeing anything.

Admin

Number of posts : 201
Class : Druid of the Coast
Registration date : 2009-01-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jolkuna on Thu Oct 01, 2009 5:02 pm

Chain shirt also has max dex bonus 4. Weight of my items? You want weight of all items? (I only have pretty much 4-5 items anyway).
Jolkuna
Admin

Number of posts : 63
Class : Rouge
Registration date : 2009-02-01

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Reverend Red on Thu Oct 01, 2009 5:35 pm

Trollblood's Char as he stated on page 2.

Trollblood, it might do you good to enhance your range and damage. Perhaps going somewhere with sneak attack might do it better. Some advice: you have to get rid of that oathbow, it is a HORRIBLE purchase. For about 7k more (if I remember correctly) you can get a +1 splitting composite longbow (weapon ecnhantment found in Champions of Ruin.) This is no joke: it doubles your amount of attacks, no tricks involved. Also, Arcane Archer really doesn't do anything about 2 spells couldn't do, I think it would be good to reconsider that choice.

Admin

Number of posts : 181
Class : Something of a wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tshern on Thu Oct 01, 2009 6:46 pm

Jolkuna wrote:Chain shirt also has max dex bonus 4. Weight of my items? You want weight of all items? (I only have pretty much 4-5 items anyway).
Easily increased with stuff like Githcraft. Masterwork chain shirt alone has +5 dexterity bonus. And yes, all items that have a weight in the book.

Reddie: Thanks for the reference, I had totally forgotten about that.

trollblood: I am afraid your character is greatly behind the power curve intended for the game. Simply put, feats like Dodge and Mobility do not belong to the resume of an exceptional archer. Your arrows will be stopped by pretty much any amount of damage reduction, because 1d8+2 averages no more than 6.5. At this level you should be tossing at least 20 damage a shot unless you have a very, very high number of attacks. The attack bonus is not convincing either...

Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by trollblood2008 on Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:12 pm

Tshern wrote:
Jolkuna wrote:Chain shirt also has max dex bonus 4. Weight of my items? You want weight of all items? (I only have pretty much 4-5 items anyway).
Easily increased with stuff like Githcraft. Masterwork chain shirt alone has +5 dexterity bonus. And yes, all items that have a weight in the book.

Reddie: Thanks for the reference, I had totally forgotten about that.

trollblood: I am afraid your character is greatly behind the power curve intended for the game. Simply put, feats like Dodge and Mobility do not belong to the resume of an exceptional archer. Your arrows will be stopped by pretty much any amount of damage reduction, because 1d8+2 averages no more than 6.5. At this level you should be tossing at least 20 damage a shot unless you have a very, very high number of attacks. The attack bonus is not convincing either...

I am gonna stick with arcane archer, my only question would be what can I do to increase my attack power with a bow? I think i am going to drop the oathbow, too many drawbacks, might go with some kind of enhanced bow....improved crit should help with bows, but i don't think it helps enough. Can you use things like power attack with a bow? and my BAB is at +18 right now, don't really know what I can do to bring it up. I could drop manyshot for sure. I need help with what I am going to do with the archer.
trollblood2008

Number of posts : 38
Class : Wishing I could Have psionic powers
Registration date : 2009-09-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Reverend Red on Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:42 pm

How many levels of AA do you want to have? From that, we could figure something out.

Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by trollblood2008 on Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:50 pm

Reverend Red wrote:How many levels of AA do you want to have? From that, we could figure something out.

Looking at taking at least 5...maybe all the way up. Then my next question is if I only take 5(which would put me at lvl 14) what do I do next? I get the extra damage from his arrow enhancement, what other kinds of feats are there out there for archers? what kind of damage feats are there for them?
trollblood2008

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Reverend Red on Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:23 pm

Well, Miika and Joel will be at my throat for this, but I'm thinking something like this:

Dragonfire Adept 1: (Able Learner) Entangling Exhalation, Point Blank Shot, Precise shot
Scout x 3: Swift Hunter
Ranger x 6: Alternate Classfeature: Arcane Hunter, (Rapid Shot, Manyshot) Improved Precise Shot, Weapon Focus (Composite Longbow)
Arcane Archer x2: Knowledge Devotion

You'd be using a +1 Splitting Serrenwood Composite Longbow (costs 36800) and Raptor Arrows (need to follow Ehlonna for these to work properly)

The idea is that you'd use entangling exhalation to trap the enemies with no save, then hammer in skirmish damage. You need spellcasting ability to enter Arcane Archer - Dragonfire Adept gets that (you'd get See the Unseen which is darkvision and see invisibility all day long, all in one) and the exhalation which really helps to keep opponents away from you. Scout/ranger with swift hunter gets a steep bonus to damage and some AC bonus too, also getting enough AB and the archery feats freely. Now we're kind of stumped as to how you'd move about to make the skirmish happen (I think we'd need travel devotion.)

However, you'd have (if this was made to work) +10 BAB, +1 arrow enchantment, +2 bane arrows, +dex (up to +9), +1 weapon focus, +favored enemy, +knowledge devotion (decent skill points, you can probably get +3 consistently... This is something along the lines +26 AB, with 3 attacks with rapid shot, doubled with splitting bow to 6 attacks, dealing 1d8+1 (enchantment)+2d6(bane)+2d6(skirmish)+4(str)+3 (knowdev)+4(favored enemy). As I said, how to make this work is a little off, but we'd look at 30,5 damage a pop, times six to a average damage, if hit, 183 damage a round and you'd even have a pet and a fire breath.

I mean, this is probably bugged somehow, but this is the type of thing you'd be expected to do.

Last edited by Reverend Red on Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:03 pm; edited 1 time in total

Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jolkuna on Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:51 pm

Tshern, I'm changing my crossbow to revolver as we are having a western theme in our group and revolvers are in the dmg. If that is ok with you (you haven't so far told anything about the setting so it might not fit).
Jolkuna
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tshern on Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:07 am

Reverend Red wrote:Well, Miika and Joel will be at my throat for this, but I'm thinking something like this:

Dragonfire Adept 1: (Able Learner) Entangling Exhalation, Point Blank Shot, Precise shot
Spend a standard action just for Entangling exhalation rather than killing people? These needs to be redone. Maybe adding Quicken breath would do it.

Scout x 3: Swift Hunter
Doesn't qualify.

Ranger x 6: Alternate Classfeature: Arcane Hunter, (Rapid Shot, Manyshot) Improved Precise Shot, Weapon Focus (Composite Longbow)
Better.

You'd be using a +1 Splitting Serrenwood Composite Longbow (costs 36800) and Raptor Arrows (need to follow Ehlonna for these to work properly)
True believer feat. And the arrows don't stack with the Arcane Archer enchantment. There is a reason the class sucks...

However, you'd have (if this was made to work) +10 BAB, +1 arrow enchantment, +2 bane arrows, +dex (up to +9), +1 weapon focus, +favored enemy, +knowledge devotion (decent skill points, you can probably get +3 consistently... This is something along the lines +26 AB, with 3 attacks with rapid shot, doubled with splitting bow to 6 attacks, dealing 1d8+1 (enchantment)+2d6(bane)+2d6(skirmish)+4(str)+3 (knowdev)+4(favored enemy). As I said, how to make this work is a little off, but we'd look at 30,5 damage a pop, times six to a average damage, if hit, 183 damage a round and you'd even have a pet and a fire breath.
Needs more STR. Who's the party Wizard? We need polymorphing.

Also, this could be done with a level of Cloistered Cleric rather than Dragonfire Adept. Cloistered Cleric would work better with Manyshot though. It'd give Point blank shot (Elf domain), Travel devotion (Travel domain) and, of course, Knowledge devotion. You would have to get the one feat that allows you to prepare arcane cantrips and Sanctum spell though.

Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jolkuna on Fri Oct 02, 2009 7:42 am

I thought Sinister was going to be the wizard but he hasn't said anything in a long time. If he is not the party wizard we are screwed cause I was counting someone to play a good battle field controller.
Jolkuna
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Reverend Red on Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:27 am

Tshern, it was just an outline of what kind of capabilities a level 12 character should have at least.

Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tshern on Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:24 am

The build would still work pretty well with a few adjustments.

Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jolkuna on Fri Oct 02, 2009 3:34 pm

So do I have an ok on the crossbow to revolver?
Jolkuna
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tshern on Fri Oct 02, 2009 4:48 pm

Good luck carrying all the ammo, ten alone weigh a pound. Light load for a medium character with STR 10 is 33 pounds...

Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jolkuna on Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:52 pm

That's why I got a horse, but I presume it's ok then... Cool!
Jolkuna
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tshern on Sat Oct 03, 2009 1:07 pm

Sure thing then, go for it. Don't forget to get a proficiency for the weapons though. I could give a Western style wagon and a horse for free, if you RP your role decently. Deal?

Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jolkuna on Sat Oct 03, 2009 1:57 pm

Sure, sounds good.
Jolkuna
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by trollblood2008 on Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:26 am

One more try, this time an evoker half-drow

http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=157990

no spells or finished equip, just want to know what you think...if there is something I should change let me know

*Got his spells and stuff done. Please let me know how you think he will work....
trollblood2008

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jolkuna on Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:30 am

You should have some protective spells prepared that last a long time or are swift/immedeate action to cast. Currently you have a huge amount of blast spells, but most likely you won't be able to cast them all. Consider that if we have 3 fights a day (which is actually quite unusual) and most likely each fight lasts max 5 rounds, you'll only be able to cast 15 spells during the fight. I would personally pick 1 big spell per fight, 1 average and 1 weaker one, and the some 2 "back up spells". Rest I'd use for defence.

Also you cant prohibit divination.
Jolkuna
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tshern on Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:12 am

It is also a play by post game, so encounters are, with a high likelyhood, a lot less common than in standard games.

-You do not have an intelligence boosting item.
-Why half-drow?
-Why Evoker? I didn't have the time to check your spell selection, but make sure you have Howling chain from the Spell Compendium.

I'll say more when I have the time to read the sheet.

Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jolkuna on Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:53 am

Yes, well in quite heavy combat games you still only fight most likely 2 times a day, so that spell approximation is only a "theoretical" one, to come at least closer to what trollblood has chosen (which is, every spell an attack spell).

Trollblood, when choosing spells consider your defence and consider these things:

Your saves, what can you do to get the maximum bonus to your saves with little sacrifice (tip: superior resistance for example).

AC: How will you make it impossible to hit you? Will you buff your ac? Will you have misschance? Both? Or perhaps immediate action teleports to get away from the enemy? Remember you need to get touch and flatfooted ac up too if you wanna use AC as your way of "not getting hit".

Movement: Can you fly? Can you burrow? Can you teleport? Move through walls? Can you switch dimensions?

Immunities and resistances: How many elements are you immune to? Are you immune to sneak attacks and critical hits? Immune to mind affecting? Ability damage? Etc.

Detection: This goes both ways, how easy is it for enemies to detect you and how well can you detect enemies. See invisibility, blindsense/sight etc.

Actions: How many actions can you make per round? As I mentioned already, for example an immediate action teleport is very useful. Celerity? Belt of Battle? Assume supernastural ability choker for extra standard action?

DCs: How high can you get the DCs of your spells? Most evocations you've chosen allow a reflex save. One ring of evasion can make everyone immune to your spells, you don't want that really.

Also you should try get your initiative high as that helps a lot.

Currently your AC sucks, your saves suck, your movement options suck, your initiatives suck, your attack bonus sucks (yes, if you want to use rays, your rays still need to hit), your hp sucks (if you are easy to hit you are going to need a lot of hp). Basically, if you remove half of the character sheet and look at the the half above weapon, everything there should be at least 2-3 times higher (except stats, which could also be higher).

I'm not trying to put you down here, but I'm just stating the facts. Consider this situation: A level 5 fighter is standing 30 feet from you. What do you do? Currently you are going to die.

And finally, here is a link to wizard handbook, you should take a look at it.

http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=394.0
Jolkuna
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by trollblood2008 on Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:55 pm

Okay, i am going back to what i know best, combat monkey, the only question is what to take in order of equipment:

http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=158193

I need something to buff my AC(any way I can) and something to increase my damage and to hit chance...

any ideas are welcomed!
trollblood2008

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jolkuna on Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:04 pm

Can you explain a bit your thought behind the feat selection? Just to get your ideas why you've chosen this and that feat and why do you think it's good for your character.
Jolkuna
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tshern on Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:05 pm

You have not listed how many levels of each class you have.

Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum: