Thought Bottle
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Neverend (Free-form modern fantasy)

4 posters

Go down

Neverend (Free-form modern fantasy) Empty Neverend (Free-form modern fantasy)

Post by Solnath Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:37 am

The winter solstice of the year 2012 did not bring the end of the world. This is notable, because that was when the final conflict between the ancient and the forgotten should have been. But it wasn't.

Many people felt, correctly, that the end was nigh. As the sun set on that day for what was meant to be the last time, not by sinking under the western horizon but by an unprecedented global eclipse that was not caused by the Moon or by any other satellite or object in the Solar System and remained hidden, many were right to believe that the Sun had been vanquished. The world held its breath and began to slide into fearful chaos.

However, a little over an hour, the eclipse disappeared. It did not subside as if a disc had been pulled away like it does when the Moon causes an eclipse - the Sun simply burst into flame once again as if nothing had ever happened to it.

No one knows why.

Quite a few people took it as a sign of some higher power, some thought it was merely a temporary albeit disturbing glitch in the aeons old fusion mechanism of the Sun; many maintained that it was merely mass hysteria caused by the anticipation of an apocalypse. Whatever the people believed, most found it hard to remember the event specifically and not too long later, the incident faded from the front of people's minds. Even though most people felt that something was amiss, none could place a finger on what it was.

However, unbeknownst to others, almost fifty thousand people did not see the eclipse. Not because they were not outdoors during daylight hours then or because no recordings were made of the eclipse; for them, nothing happened. Those of them who were awake walked in daylight while others' eyes were shrouded in darkness, mystified by the people carrying flashlights during the day; those who saw the news in the morning saw footage of a blazing sun.

Most of these people were inclined to believe that it was all a case of mass hysteria and hallucinations caused by it. Others were in places where the myth was not known and witnessed people flounder about like blind mice and knew that it could not be self-caused. Regardless, none of these people forgot the alleged event or its effects even when everyone else them could not recall anything special unless pressed. This, of course, led to conspiracy theories, but no evidence was found and no solid conclusions were made.

The world has, of course, changed since. In normal ways, mostly, though recently strange things have begun happening. Creatures that have never before been seen are met in wilderness areas, UFOs are spotted nearly daily and ships have sunk as if something sinister lurked beneath the waves of seas, rivers and lakes. Strange fires roam the European landscape and cities and rumours on the Web say that Eastern Asia is being plagued by ghosts. Not all of these sudden paranormal shifts are bad, though; Africa is enjoying the best possible climate for farming and is experiencing a continental phase of peace. In Brazil and surrounding countries, rainforests are quite literally springing up with trees growing in speeds that can be measured in metres per hour.

For most, though, these are simply quirky events happening somewhere else to someone else and they are ignored, even if a close friend or family member disappears at sea or while hiking. Only the aforementioned minority takes any real interest in these events and they are mainly confused and feeling estranged from those who do not see anything special about these occurrences.

Today, though, on the 11th of August 2016, a handful of the curious minority are feeling first hand the oddity of this world as they stand trial in Los Angeles for crimes they did not commit. However, as with the eclipse three-odd years ago and the recent incidents, almost everyone else firmly believes the direct opposite of what they hold to be true: the masses are convinced that they have in fact committed the crimes they are being accused of. To the small group, the evidence is flimsy where it exists, but the prosecution seems to be convincing not only the jury, but also the media and the people. The defense attorneys are helpless and more than a bit unwilling to even defend their clients.

Whether or not this mockery of justice is related to the maximum security prisons that have been springing up in rich neighbourhoods across North America, none of them knows. What is certain, however, is that things are quite rapidly beginning to look very, very grim.
Solnath
Solnath

Number of posts : 90
Class : Supreme
Registration date : 2009-01-21

Back to top Go down

Neverend (Free-form modern fantasy) Empty Re: Neverend (Free-form modern fantasy)

Post by Solnath Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:05 am

Game rules/information:

1. Characters are, as the background story indicates, people who know that weird shit is going on and didn't witness the eclipse in any way.

2. Humans are the only playable race, though that may change.

3. None of you have superpowers of any sorts, though that may change.

4. No wuxia, though that [s]may[/s] will change.

5. You can play an idiot, though that will make your game quite short, as resourcefulness is a necessary attribute in your characters. You're not protagonists because you were in the wrong place at the wrong time; you're protagonists because you are the right people in the wrong place at the wrong time.

6. There will be puzzles, I've been reading too much detective stories for there not to be.

7. The campaign will be divided into a prologue, chapters and epilogue, with the first being a chance to get in touch with your characters and the last to wrap things up.

8. PM or IM your characters to me.

9. Jolkuna: NO hidden superpowers, ancient heritages, amulet-halves, anguished heroes, mad scientists, homosexual crime-lords, messiah-complex-ridden priests or any of those.

10. Well, unless you really must.

11. Play will occur either PbP or via other means, depending on availability. IMs or IRC, however, are no excuse for not being verbose.

12. Hideous spelling and grammar turn me off, but won't necessarily affect your character, unless you screw up English with the intent to spite me.

13. This is essentially free for all and although I'd prefer that players don't drop in, that can be arranged. However, the longer you're in, the higher your chances of getting perks are.

14. Combat is realistic. Try to avoid it.

15. If I present a problem or a puzzle, that does not mean there is only one solution to it; I know what's happening, not what will happen.

16. What you do will affect the world around you. Mess with the wrong people too early and I won't bail you out. (Reference: 5.)

17. That's not to say mistakes can't be made, just that if you continually act in a self-destructive manner (e.g. attack your allies, don't ally yourselves with any, attack "the bosses," etc.), it might just result in a TPK.

18. Having said that, TPK is a possibility, though one I'd like you to avoid. I won't do what the US did to the banks if you fuck up as royally, but I will give you leads as to how to get out of a mess before its too late.

18.1. That is, if I think it's necessary. I'm not going to solve puzzles for you.

19. Repeat after me: being a really, really good chef does not give you superpowers.

19.1. Unless it's related to number 3.

20. All non-PbP logs will be posted abridged to the forum by me so that everything's in one place.

20.1. If your character has intentionally bad memory, don't metagame and check the logs.

20.1.1. It would be good if your characters had reasonable memory, as there may be need to reference to information heard or seen chapters before, eventually.

21. All questions relating to Neverend should be addressed to this thread to increase public awareness on the campaign.

22. Questions?
Solnath
Solnath

Back to top Go down

Neverend (Free-form modern fantasy) Empty Re: Neverend (Free-form modern fantasy)

Post by Jolkuna Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:26 am

I'll take everything from 9.

Point 16, the government will bail us out if you don't.

19 -> it'll still make you awesome.

So after combining all in 9 I'm clearly going to play a lawyer. Objections? (!)
Jolkuna
Jolkuna
Admin

Number of posts : 63
Class : Rouge
Registration date : 2009-02-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Solnath Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:33 am

Only one.
Solnath
Solnath

Back to top Go down

Post by Jolkuna Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:40 am

Phoenix Wright will indeed be a source of inspiration to me.
Jolkuna
Jolkuna
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Solnath Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:44 am

Alright, sounds acceptable. Write up a bio and PM it to me.
Solnath
Solnath

Back to top Go down

Post by Reverend Red Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:58 pm

I'm in and will be making a forum for you. I'll write the character for you this weekend.

I, for one, vote for scheduled IM games.
Reverend Red
Reverend Red
Admin

Number of posts : 181
Class : Something of a wizard
Registration date : 2009-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Solnath Sat Feb 14, 2009 2:57 am

Neat, will you have access to the internet from Turku or not?
Solnath
Solnath

Back to top Go down

Post by Reverend Red Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:47 pm

It might be arranged. I'm not counting on it, though.
Reverend Red
Reverend Red
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Solnath Sat Feb 14, 2009 1:38 pm

Hmm, then that will be a problem.
Solnath
Solnath

Back to top Go down

Post by Reverend Red Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:22 am

I have the character written for when you happen to get online, Sol.

Also, I think weekends should be fairly easy to arrange. Also, if that's what it takes, I guess I'll be able to even agree to PbP.
Reverend Red
Reverend Red
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Tshern Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:23 am

It doesn't have to be either or, right? Do something online, something as PbP.
Tshern
Tshern
Admin

Number of posts : 201
Class : Druid of the Coast

Back to top Go down

Post by Reverend Red Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:27 am

Agreed. Tshern, you should probably work on a character as well as Sol has been implying we might be running some intro stuff today already, apparently as solo games.
Reverend Red
Reverend Red
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Tshern Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:32 am

Today won't work for me anyway, I am about to hit the hays. Also, I haven't even read the intro, tl;dr happened.
Tshern
Tshern
Admin

Number of posts : 201
Class : Druid of the Coast

Back to top Go down

Post by Reverend Red Thu Sep 10, 2009 5:57 pm

I was just scrolling about and realised, this never happened.

Sol, still like doing this or something similar?
Reverend Red
Reverend Red
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jolkuna Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:10 pm

I have my character still on my comp.
Jolkuna
Jolkuna
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down