Thought Bottle
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What is this? (Basics + Q&A)

4 posters

Go down

What is this? (Basics + Q&A) Empty What is this? (Basics + Q&A)

Post by Reverend Red Fri Jan 30, 2009 6:56 pm

Breath and Blade is the working title of a fantasy world roleplaying game specific to Thought Bottle. The masterminds behind the setting is me myself and Half-a-Man, who will be crafting and leading the developments down in the world.

BB (yes, I REALLY had to have a popular culture reference abbreviation for this. Srsly) is a mature game, which can be assumed to be a standard on the forum, set in a world combining new and old. The crux of the game is: imagine a wuxia sword master setting combined with classic medieval fantasy... and add UNDEAD. Hordes of them. All sorts.

The planet, Gyreon, is small, the size of our Earth's Moon, and is circled by a sun and a floating city. These two additions already arouse quite the few questions. The story begins in the year 844, in a world where small countries dispute over scarce materials, where the magic of the sword has reached its apex, where humans thrive and advance. However, their journey is brought to an end when a supernatural danger emerges - the Plague of Eons. A mystical illness that transforms all those who contract it into undead of various persuasion, from the lowly walking dead to the vampiric sword masters and almost invulnerable Sorrow Wraiths. The only assured component of the illness is that it makes an individual walk beyond eons - and only now it becomes apparent that the plague was released at least a hundred years ago, but managed to infect people without being noticed. More on the Plague may be read in the following posts.

So what people are combating is a magical illness that threatens to turn the whole world into an ageless group of humans who forget their humanity... and to combat them, only the most prominent of sword masters may find a way to end the plague, taking them deep into the dark history, politics and future of the strange planet.

That's the basic outline - but in the following posts we'll be explaining a lot more of the world and its contents... and ailments. For anything left unclear, ask here.
Reverend Red
Reverend Red
Admin

Number of posts : 181
Class : Something of a wizard
Registration date : 2009-01-20

Back to top Go down

What is this? (Basics + Q&A) Empty Re: What is this? (Basics + Q&A)

Post by Llochlyn Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:49 pm

Simple question : do the characters need to be sword masters or are concepts beyond that open ?

Also, I guess technology is replaced by magic in some sorts of ways, but what's the proportion of it in "everyday life" ?

Llochlyn

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2009-02-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Reverend Red Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:59 pm

The character can be basically anything, but I'll soon proceed to explain the nature of magic in the world. Technically, all magic is wielded through swords and in some cases, bows. It is possible to cast spells without swords, but not really for combat purposes... as said there will be further explanations, but being a "wizard," for example, is not an option, really.

Regular people rarely see even a slightest glimpse of magic. Healers in the hospitals and witch tents use herbs and mechanical ways of curing the wounded, there are no magical machines. However, the world is laden with mystical elements, and superstition and magic have a blurry line - reading tea leaves may be both. The world has advanced fast, and gunpowder has been successfully harnessed. The steam engine, electricity, telephone etc. are not far from being invented.

I'll summarise: sword masters are almost the only magic-wielders and fairly rare, therefore to most people, magic is an alien concept.
Reverend Red
Reverend Red
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Deodanth Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:39 am

What system do you plan to use for this game?
Deodanth
Deodanth

Number of posts : 29
Class : Rune Weaver ®
Registration date : 2009-02-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Tshern Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:54 am

Freeform, I'd wager.
Tshern
Tshern
Admin

Number of posts : 201
Class : Druid of the Coast

Back to top Go down

Post by Reverend Red Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:49 am

The forum for B&B is not a recruitment thread yet. Currently we're simply writing down material and maybe sniff out interest in the concept.

The game is free-form with guidelined powerlevels. It will be played on IRC, OpenRPG or Messenger. PbP is a possibility, though I'm not all that fond of it.
Reverend Red
Reverend Red
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum